MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Scrapped cash hits Melton and Moorabool parents

Scrapped cash hits Melton and Moorabool parents

With the children now back at school after the Christmas break, thousands of families are feeling the pressure of the previous state government’s decision to abolish the Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA).

Under the EMA, more than 200,000 parents received between $150 to $300 to pay for everything from uniforms, to books and excursions.

Instead, the education department now gives funding directly to the state’s “most disadvantaged” schools and provides principals with the power to determine how it will be spent.

But children not attending those schools will have to fend for themselves.

Melton mother Kylie Hyde has already felt the pressure of the EMA’s disappearance and is unsure about what she can continue to afford.

“Scrapping of the EMA has really hurt. I now have everything to pay off,” said Ms Hyde, whose eldest daughter started Year 7 last week.

“I’d usually pay $20 a fortnight for school expenses but now it’s gone up to $50 and I can’t afford it.

“We’ll have to go without other stuff.”

The mother of three said she couldn’t buy her two school-aged children new uniforms or books and was wondering how she would pay for camps, excursions and stationery.

Melton Secondary College principal David Reynolds said many parents were still confused about the fate of the EMA.

“A number of parents come in (on the first day of school) about claiming their EMA,” Mr Reynolds said.

“The scrapping of the EMA will make some difference; some families are doing it tough and additional support is certainly very useful.”

Victorian Principals Association president Gabrielle Leigh said many students would no longer be able to afford camps or excursions “which are an important part of the education”.

“Government primary school principals understand what additional financial pressures are being put on families but they do not have additional resources to fix the widening gap.

Shadow education minister Nick Wakeling said the Labor party criticised the previous government’s decision to axe the EMA .

“[Premier] Daniel Andrews needs to explain why Victorian families won’t receive an EMA payment under a Labor government,” he said.

Education minister James Merlino said the state government would set up a ‘‘camps, sports and excursions fund’’ and give uniforms and prescription glasses to children who needed them but couldn’t afford them.

Eligible parents can use Centrelink’s free Centrepay service to pay for bills and expenses as regular deductions from their Centrelink payments.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…