MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Schools head Melton council’s wishlist to state government

Schools head Melton council’s wishlist to state government

Education projects, including new schools, head a list of projects Melton council wants the state government to fund in the next five years.

The wishlist forms part of the Interface Councils’ Fairer Funding report, released last week, which warns that Melbourne’s outer suburbs desperately need more state money.

The group, made up of the 10 municipalities forming a ring around metropolitan Melbourne, is concerned they will become “ghettos” if the state government does not invest more money in them.

The councils say they have hosted close to half of Melbourne’s growth in the past five years but received only 7 per cent of capital works funding in this year’s state budget.

The report includes an electorate by electorate wishlist, including Melton, Keilor and Kororoit.

Melton council chief executive Kelvin Tori said there was a strong feeling in both council and the community over schools and education.

“There are pressures and deficiencies in both primary and senior secondary schools in the eastern growth corridor,” he said.

“There’s also a need for an upgrade to the existing Melton Specialist School and expansion into the east. There are a number of other emerging issues . . . recent budget cuts to Victoria University and uncertainty around the Melton campus, growing pains at Exford Primary School, and the need for a primary school at Eynesbury.

“The biggest project council would like funded is 45 million for the Ferris Road grade separation.”

Other key projects the council would like funded include :

  • $57 MILLION to plan and deliver key transport initiatives, including Western Highway interchanges and intersections, township intersections, roundabouts, duplication and Ferris Road grade separation
  • $2 MILLION to complete the Melton- Melbourne railway duplication and electrification
  • $3 MILLION for Christies Road, Ravenhall, traffic signals
  • $400,000 to plan Melton highway duplication and Western Highway interchanges
  • $500,000 for the Caroline Springs Recreation Reserve Tennis Centre after federal government funding for the project was cut earlier this year.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…