MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Building starts on Ballan LGBTI village

Building starts on Ballan LGBTI village

The milestone for the Linton Estate this Thursday had been eight years coming for Peter Dickson.

A large crowd gathered at what will soon become a construction site on the edge of Ballan for the first residential village for the LGBTI community and like-minded people.

“I have been up since 4.30 this morning,” he said.

“There were times (when I thought it might not happen), ask my workmates, there have been tears, ask my family but you just think ‘I am going to do this, I am going to make it happen’.”

Mr Dickson, the founder and managing director said residents could expect to see work start on Linton Estate within the next couple of weeks.

He said the facility was one of the first worldwide to cater to the LGBTI community and was something that was greatly in need.

“I am gay, and I don’t want to die alone,” he said. “My sister has kids, but I don’t have any, even if you take the sexuality away, it is about community.

“If you look at the design within the community there are little communities so people get to know each other and support each other and that is what it is all about.” When completed the facility will employ more than 35 full time staff in the Ballan area.

The funding for the facility will come through a different fund raising source, via company DomaCom.

The fundraising acts in a similar way to crowd funding and allows investors to buy “fractions” of properties in the same manner as shares.

A choice for later life

Victoria’s Gender and Sexuality Commissioner Rowena Allen was also on hand to mark the first step in construction.

“I think it means LGBTI elders have a choice about what happens to them in their later life,” she said.

“They can plan really early, they can get in on something that is ground breaking and they know that when they retire here they will be accepted.” Ms Allan said it had been difficult in the past for members of the LGBTI community to be accepted in residential villages.

“Some people have had to go back in the closet when they got into aged care,” she said. “It is always easy to be the second so I am not surprised that it has taken Peter so many years, I think we will see a lot more of this.”

By Matthew Dixon, The Courier

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…