MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Other Sports » Bacchus Marsh lad packs a punch

Bacchus Marsh lad packs a punch

He may only be in the early stages of his career, but Mitchell Clark has already shown just how hard he is willing to push himself to win.

The rising star was in the biggest bout of his young career last year fighting for the Victorian Super Middleweight title.

In the third round of the fight, the 22-year-old suffered a serious hand injury, leaving him barely able to fire a shot with that side of his body.

He refused to quit, though, seeing out the remaining rounds against opponent Jade Mitchell before losing on a points decision.

Far from being deterred by the experience, the Bacchus Marsh resident left the fight more determined than ever.

“I burst the blood vessel in my tendon on my middle knuckle,” Clark says. “I was talking to the hand specialist and he said I might as well have broken the hand. It would have been just as much pain.

“I fought my heart out though and ended up losing on points. Jade fought a fantastic fight and he deserved to win.

“I felt a lot more determined to get my hand right and have another crack at it. I wanted to push even harder and get that title belt around me.”

Clark didn’t have to wait long for his second chance. Once he returned to full fitness, he fought Darren Allison for the same title late last year.

His previous experience proved a fantastic lead-in, with Clark going on to defeat the champion via a knockout in the seventh round.

“I was speechless,” Clark said. “There were a few people I forgot to thank on the night because it was just so overwhelming. To think, from where I started to where I am now with the Victorian title … it has just been fantastic.”

Originally from Horsham, Clark’s career has exploded since he moved to Bacchus Marsh to turn professional.

He now has eight wins from his nine fights under the training of Danny Kay.

Clark also trains with IBO world title holder Zac Dunn.

“It has all been one big effort,” he said of his progress. “I still have a lot to do with my coach down in the country, Ray McIntosh. He has been great for me.

“Moving to Bacchus Marsh and turning professional was the next step I had to take in my career.

“Getting to train with Zac every day and being in the environment I am now, it has all come together and it has been fantastic.”

Clark’s next fight will be at the end of this month when he takes on Peter Orlik. Flying out from Hungary, the 22-year-old Orlik has 14 wins from his 16 fights.

“He has been in a lot of high-up fights in the world,” Clark said of his opponent. “He is only three weeks older than me, so it will be the first time I will get to fight someone close to my age.

“He has had a lot more fights than me and is very experienced. I am really looking forward to it though. It should be a great fight.”

The bout will take place at the Melbourne Pavilion on Friday, February 26.

Digital Editions


  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai,…

More News

  • What to look forward to in Moorabool

    What to look forward to in Moorabool

    Moorabool council is set to host an abundance of music and literature events across Bacchus marsh, Ballan and Blackwood this year, pairing with local artists and visiting talent. Council was…

  • Community calendar

    Community calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Volunteer with L2P Help a disadvantaged young person gain essential driving hours by becoming an L2P Volunteer Driving Mentor. A few hours a…

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…