MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Picnic cancelled over security concerns

Picnic cancelled over security concerns

A community picnic, called to help unite Melton around its Muslim community last Sunday, was called off by police and organisers because anti-Islam groups indicated they would gatecrash the event.

The picnic had been organised in the wake of violent clashes in the town last November between anti-racism groups and racial extremist fringe groups Reclaim Australia, True Blue Crew and the United Patriots Front.

Melton’s Hannah Watts Park was to be the scene of a ‘United Solidarity community picnic’, whose aim was to encourage friendship and an attitude of tolerance for all. Melton sisters-in-law Christie and Jess, who asked that only their first names be used, developed the idea as a peaceful way to bring people together.

“We are parents of young children and have been Melton community members of six years,” Christie said. “The Islamic community has been a valuable part of the Australian community for decades.

“There is no need for the extreme reactions we have been seeing.

“Despite being a peaceful, community- focused faith, many people who follow the Muslim faith have been the subject of disgraceful bigotry and hatred in recent times due to the rise of terrorist attacks throughout the world.”

Jess said she thinks Australians need to recognise that the vast majority of Muslims are not terrorists.

“They are hard-working Aussies, mums and dads, school children, employees – no different to the rest of us, apart from their choice of religion.”

The pair has now postponed the picnic until later this year, saying they want it to promote more tolerant attitudes.

“This event is most definitely not a protest. It is a peaceful, family event and will have children in attendance, so we respectfully request that anyone with a desire to cause trouble please stay away,” Christie said.

“By bringing together people who may not ordinarily socialise with one another, we hope to break down barriers and encourage friendships.

“We encourage everyone to come down and participate, even if they believe that they are against Islam.

“Asking questions with an open mind is the best way to dispel fear.”

Melton police’s Senior Sergeant Simon Payne said his team would carry out a risk assessment and meet with the organisers to discuss security options for the event.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 497716 Cancer Council is calling on Aussies to rally their family, friends, and especially their workmates, for Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, the nation’s iconic…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Di Filippo headed west

    Di Filippo headed west

    The Western Warriors have suffered a blow with midcourter Simona Di Filippo headed across the country to continue her netball career. Di Filippo, an inaugural player at the Warriors, was…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…