MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Bacchus Marsh hospital ‘will only grow’

Bacchus Marsh hospital ‘will only grow’

Maternity services at Bacchus Marsh and Melton Regional Hospital will continue and be expanded as the two towns grow.

The Health Department’s service performance and programs deputy secretary Frances Diver last week quashed rumours that the state government planned to pull the plug on the beleaguered Bacchus Marsh hospital, amid investigations into the deaths of seven newborns in 2013 and 2014.

“There are absolutely no plans to close the hospital in Bacchus Marsh,” Ms Diver said.

“To meet the needs of the broader community growing in Bacchus Marsh and Melton, we need to grow services – both hospital-based and community-based.

“So my expectation is that services will grow across both towns.”

Speaking at last week’s annual meeting of Djerriwarrh Health Services, which runs the hospital, Dr John Ballard “sincerely apologised” to the women and their families who had lost babies in “avoidable” circumstances.

Dr Ballard, who was appointed hospital administrator after its board was sacked last month, sought to reassure people that “necessary provisions” had been put in place to ensure the safety of maternity services.

Djerriwarrh Health Services implemented six of Professor Euan Wallace’s recommendations after his investigation into the hospital’s maternity services earlier this year. Another four recommendations are still being introduced.

Improved governance

Dr Ballard said the health service had new clinical governance systems, extra support and training for staff, and new resources, including centralised fetal monitoring systems as recommended by Professor Wallace.

“Sound clinical governance is the basis for safe, quality care,” Dr Ballard said.

“Deficits in clinical governance are a key contributor to what occurred in maternity services at the hospital here in Bacchus Marsh.

“There is no one person who is the common denominator in all of these cases.

“Blaming anyone or anything will not change the past; we must focus on the future by addressing the systemic issues at Djerriwarrh.”

Djerriwarrh Health Services chief executive Andrew Freeman said patient numbers at the hospital’s maternity ward had decreased, but the hospital was committed to restoring community trust.

“We’ve gone through an awfully, awfully difficult period … and we need to gain the trust of the community again,” he said.

He said, a new quality and safety committee will report back to the board in a bid to “increase accountability and transparency”.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…