MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » MP urges state to move on Bacchus Marsh roadworks

MP urges state to move on Bacchus Marsh roadworks

Western Victorian MP Simon Ramsay is the latest to pressure the state government to commit to vital roadworks at Bacchus Marsh.

The upper house politician urged the government to commit to on and off ramps at the Western Freeway and to improve Halletts Way.

“The poor old Moorabool shire has been waiting for the government to commit to funding to the project, to allow tenders to go out for works to be completed,” Mr Ramsay said in a speech to Parliament last month.

“My request for urgent action by the Minister for Roads and Road Safety is that he free up the $35 million sitting in the VicRoads budget to allow the traffic management plan, which will allow the increased traffic flow.”

The road works were promised by the Brumby government and stalled by the Baillieu-Napthine and Andrews governments.

Moorabool council and Bacchus Marsh residents have been lobbying the state government and Mr Ramsay to get a move on.

Time to invest

Speaking to Star Weekly, Mr Ramsay said now was the time to invest money in the oft-neglected town and commit to finishing the four-stage project.

“There is a degree of frustration that we haven’t progressed the final stages of [the project], which was also about removing heavy trucks from the centre of the town,” he said.

“I’ve been working on this issue for five years now, since I’ve been in Parliament.”

When asked why the former Liberal government didn’t commit to the project during its four-year term, Mr Ramsay said a number of issues had arisen.

“As part of the planning of the Woolpacks Road project, it was indicated that we’d have to move a number of the elm trees along the Avenue of Honour to progress the roundabout in Woolpacks Road,” he said.

“The removing of the elm trees was causing a lot of community concerns. We looked at different ways to remove a minimum number of trees and settled that only four trees could be removed.

“Because of still ongoing community concern, it was decided we rehash and provide another traffic management plan.”

He said by the time that was done, the Liberals had lost government.

Mr Ramsay said $35 million to cover the cost of the project had been budgeted by the state government and should be freed up.

A spokeswoman for Roads Minister Luke Donnellan said the state government was negotiating with the federal government to complete the project.

“Simon Ramsay had four years to finish these works. If he was serious, why didn’t he and the former Liberal government get on with building the projects that Bacchus Marsh needs?”

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…