MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Police seek to allay fears amid shootings

Police seek to allay fears amid shootings

Melton’s top cop has moved to reassure the community after a recent spate of shootings that rocked the state.

Inspector Kathy Rudkins said the people shot at had been known to the alleged offenders.

“They’re not random shootings,” Inspector Rudkins said.

“There is a risk to the people involved; there’s a risk to our members and there is the slight possibility innocent bystanders can get involved. All of those things are worrying to us, but I wouldn’t say people should be worried – just be aware.”

Over the Melbourne Cup weekend, four separate shootings rocked the seemingly quiet streets of Melbourne’s north-west.

On Friday, October 30, a man in his 20s was shot in the abdomen when a fight erupted between four men at Dalray Crescent, Kurunjang.

The man was taken to the Royal Melbourne with non-life threatening injuries.

With the launch of a new firearms investigation team, Inspector Rudkins said she didn’t believe strengthening gun laws would prevent targeted shootings.

“Most of the people who are using guns are using them illegally,” she said.

“They’re people who don’t care about the law. You can have the strongest gun laws, but it’s not going to change anything.”

Last week, Victoria Police announced the formation of a new investigations team with a primary focus on preventing shootings and disrupting the supply of firearms.

The team, to be based within the Purana Taskforce, will investigate firearms trafficking and seek to identify links between firearm-related burglaries and organised crime groups.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…