MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Jail term for Sarah Cafferkey’s killer of ‘unprecedented magnitude’

Jail term for Sarah Cafferkey’s killer of ‘unprecedented magnitude’

LATEST: The life sentence with no parole handed down to the man who murdered Sarah Cafferkey and dumped her body in a wheelie bin was of “unprecedented magnitude” in Victoria, a court has heard.

Victorian Legal Aid defence barrister Tim Marsh said Supreme Court Justice Kevin Bell’s decision to order that Steven James Hunter, 47, never be released was not warranted given the circumstances of the case.

Mr Marsh told the Court of Appeal’s president Justice Chris Maxwell and Justices Phillip Priest and Paul Coghlan that this was the first example of a judge jailing someone for life without parole despite the offender having pleaded guilty at the earliest possible opportunity.

The defence barrister said an analysis of similar murder cases showed an appropriate non-parole period for Hunter should be in excess of 30 years given the seriousness of the crime.

Mr Marsh argued that Hunter, 47, deserved to be given the chance of being released when he was aged between 77 and 82.

Hunter, who served 13 years in prison for the 1986 murder of 18-year-old Jacqueline Mathews, repeatedly stabbed Ms Cafferkey, 22, and bashed her with a hammer after an argument at his Bacchus Marsh apartment on November 10 last year.

Hunter put Ms Cafferkey’s body in the boot of his car and drove to a house at Point Cook where he placed her in a green wheelie bin. He poured concrete into the bin over the body.

Hunter was unable to later get rid of the wheelie bin to try to cover up what he had done because the concrete had set and it was too heavy.

After his arrest, Hunter told police he wanted to be locked up forever.

Justice Bell, when handing down his sentence in August, said Hunter did not deserve to ever be released back into the community after accepting responsibility for “this most heinous crime”.

The judge said Ms Cafferkey’s murder had shown Hunter’s propensity for extreme violence from which the community, especially young women, needed protection.

Hunter’s Victorian Legal Aid lawyers lodged an application seeking leave to appeal the sentence in September.

Ms Cafferkey’s mother, Noelle Dickson, who was in court on Thursday, then wrote a letter to Premier Denis Napthine, Attorney-General Robert Clark, and Corrections Minister Edward O’Donohue, describing her anger at convicted murderers such as Hunter receiving legal aid to fund their appeals.

“These funds should be used towards rehabilitation programs for criminals with a chance of rehabilitation, not to defend serious violent double-murdering offenders, proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt and given maximum sentences for heinous crimes,” Ms Dickson wrote.

Ms Dickson had told Justice Bell before Hunter was sentenced that she pictured her daughter being thrown out like garbage whenever she took out the bins.

Legal Aid claims the cost of an application for leave to appeal a sentence is about $1700.

If the application is granted and an appeal is heard, this costs about $2500.

Mr Marsh, Legal Aid’s chief counsel, represented Hunter during his pre-sentence hearing before he was jailed for life with no parole.

The hearing before the Court of Appeal continues.

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal.…

More News

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…