MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » ‘Hoax’ call on Bacchus Marsh indoor pool funds

‘Hoax’ call on Bacchus Marsh indoor pool funds

The former federal government’s allocation of $7 million towards Bacchus Marsh’s long-awaited indoor pool complex has been labelled a “cruel hoax”.

Responding to reports the money had been axed, federal Infrastructure and Regional Development Minister Warren Truss said that while Labor announced the Regional Development Australia funding as a “done deal”, it was “not selected to proceed to full application”.

Community pool consortium chairman David Stewart said members were still trying to canvas ministers to see if more consideration could be given to the decision.

“We haven’t had a lot of luck, but we’ve got to keep working,’’ Dr Stewart said. ‘‘We’re aware that even if the money doesn’t come through, we can’t just give up.’’

As reported by the Weekly, the Labor government announced in August that RDA funding for the complex had been included in the federal budget. But the Liberal government has indicated that only projects with existing contracts would be honoured.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? Post a comment below

Mr Truss said it beggared belief that the project was spruiked before the election.

“It is a disappointment that so many people had their genuine hopes built up, only to be dashed,” he said.

“I know that most of the [promised] projects were worthy and some will have to be funded some way, and I’m looking at what may be available for the future.”

Mr Truss said the new government had launched a National Stronger Regions Fund aimed at building social and economic infrastructure.

Councils and community groups will be able to apply for grants of between $20,000 and $10 million to meet up to half the cost of projects. The fund will be launched in 2015.

Ballarat Labor MP Catherine King said the decision was incredibly disappointing.

“In essence, there’s no opportunity for Moorabool shire to apply for regional projects until 2015 under the current government,” she said.

“It hasn’t come out of thin air. It’s gone through local communities and council and been signed off, and now it’s just dismissed.”

Dr Stewart said the consortium was in talks with the NSW council of Wingecarribee, which built an $8.4 million aquatic centre in Moss Vale without federal funding.

 

“We have to assume there are other avenues for funding,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…