MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Melton MP lashes out at fatal cost of ambulance delays

Melton MP lashes out at fatal cost of ambulance delays

Melton residents distressed by frequent ambulance delays are sick and tired of having to attend needless funerals, according to Melton Labor MP Don Nardella.

Mr Nardella last week called for state Health Minister David Davis to be sacked because of poor ambulance coverage in the electorate.

Speaking in Parliament, Mr Nardella asked Premier Denis Napthine to replace Mr Davis with “a person who has an understanding of health issues and a modicum of compassion”.

A spokesman for Mr Davis labelled Mr Nardella a “hypocrite”.

“Don Nardella should explain why he was so silent on this issue when Labor was in government,’’ the spokesman said.

“He neglected to mention that the former Labor government ripped $42 million from the ambulance budget.”

In his speech, Mr Nardella mentioned the recent deaths of Melton’s Lilliana Mizzi, 78, who waited four hours for an ambulance after having a stroke, and 18-year-old Brodie Wilson, who waited 27 minutes for an ambulance to come from Sunbury after having an asthmatic attack.

Mr Nardella also referred to the death of 23‑year‑old Matthew Gibbs, who had a cardiac arrest at the Melton Indoor Recreation Centre on October 8.

“Matthew … waited 16 minutes for an ambulance from Caroline Springs, leaving another family grieving due to the incompetence of this uncaring minister,’’ he said.

“These families will grieve for the rest of their lives.

“Lives have been cut short because money has been cut from health – from hospitals, doctors, nurses and paramedics.”

 

Mr Davis’s spokesman said the government would boost paramedic numbers and build a new ambulance facility in Melton, giving the area better coverage.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…