MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » High cost for new Bacchus Marsh traffic plan

High cost for new Bacchus Marsh traffic plan

SIXTEEN houses could be demolished under another controversial proposal to alleviate Bacchus Marsh’s traffic woes.

The Weekly understands VicRoads and the Transport Department yesterday flagged works along Fisken Street as an alternative to the rejected Avenue of Honour plan.

The proposal would see Fisken Street, on the town’s eastern fringes, turned into a truck route, connecting Parwan Road in Maddingley to the Western Highway through Fisken Street and then looping through the south of Crook Street.

Up to 16 houses could be demolished, along with the Avenue Bowling Club, if the plan was approved.

Bacchus Marsh Traders Association president Malcolm Trask said the proposal would upset many people, and such a plan would merely move heavy traffic away from the town’s CBD to the residential edges.

“Woolpack Road would have taken the traffic right out,” he said.

“This is too much of a price to pay. It’s a dress circle area, with many period homes. People living there will have a severe loss of amenity and peace and quiet.”

Mr Trask said eight trees would be lost under the plan. However, they were not commemorative elms.

Moorabool councillor Allan Comrie slammed the proposal. He said the avenue’s popular orchard and fruit trade would fade, as traffic would no longer access the town along the elm-fringed road.

“It’s absolute madness, it doesn’t make any sense, to lose 16-odd homes for five trees, and trucks will still run through a residential area.”

Planning Minister Matthew Guy last month rejected a VicRoads and council-endorsed plan to remove five Dutch elms and build a roundabout linking Woolpack Road to the Western Highway.

As reported by the Weekly, the Fisken Street alternative was initially raised at a Heritage Victoria meeting last June.

Avenue of Honour Preservation Group president Damian Strangio doesn’t support the plan.

“I haven’t heard anyone on either side seriously support this alternative, but there is a pressing need to sort out our local traffic problems.”

Mayor Pat Griffin last week renewed his call for the government to urgently propose an alternative north-south bypass at the eastern end of Bacchus Marsh.

He said federal government representatives suggested that if an alternative was not found soon the federal component of $30 million funding could be allocated to other projects.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…

  • Mustang juniors thrive

    Mustang juniors thrive

    Melton’s next generation turned their attention to indoor hockey over the summer breaks. The Mustangs had three sides play in the Hockey Victoria junior indoor challenge. President Matthew Simpson said…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Dog park breaks ground

    Dog park breaks ground

    There’s good news for Moorabool residents with a furry friend, as ground has broken on a brand new off-leash dog park in Maddingley. Site works have begun on the off-leash…

  • Paw-sitive impact

    Paw-sitive impact

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534816 Meet Bunji, the wellbeing superstar who’s turning heads at Melton Specialist School and showing the important role therapy dogs can play in school…

  • More extended pool hours

    More extended pool hours

    Residents looking to cool off this week can head to the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan outdoor pools, which are set to open on Thursday 19 February, through to Saturday 21…

  • Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    There was as much relief as excitement when Keayang Zahara romped home and banked a $500,000 bonus in the Group 1 Great Southern Star. Co-trainer Paddy Lee conceded it had…