MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Football » RDFL: League worry as junior footy ranks shrink

RDFL: League worry as junior footy ranks shrink

Riddell District Football League is looking at ways to counter the growing problem of under-16 and under-18.5 players leaving the game.

Operations manager Toby Boyle says the problem, a statewide issue, is something the RDFL wants to address.

Several clubs are short of numbers for under-18.5 sides,

with other clubs struggling at the under-16 level.

“It’s not ideal,” Boyle said. “We’re still four weeks from the start of the season and a lot of kids have been playing cricket.

“Lancefield is the only club that has told us they won’t have an under-18.5 side, but three or four other clubs have spoken to me about a shortage of numbers, though they’re still looking at fielding a side.”

Boyle says there has also been a drop in the number of under-16 teams, with clubs filling one full team first then looking to fill a second side.

“We would like every club to have at least one side and the aim is for every club to have two teams.

“At the moment, only Gisborne Rookies and Rupertswood will field two teams.”

Boyle says there needs to be a change in approach at the junior level to try to get players to stay in the game.

“We’ve identified that players need to be developed better at a younger level.

“They need to play all positions and develop in all areas, not just focus on five or six players to win games through them.

“If they’re pigeonholed in one position, they aren’t going to enjoy it and [will] want to walk away.

Lancefield and Rockbank are two clubs that have put massive work in over the pre-season to get junior and under-18.5 teams up and running, but with little success.

Tigers president Tony McKay said they had done everything they could to get an under-18.5 team this season after not being able to field one last year.

“We thought we had it off the ground and had the players across the line, but it hasn’t happened.

“We notified the league two weeks ago we wouldn’t have an under-18.5 side as we didn’t want the embarrassment of pulling out two weeks in.

“We tried everything. We spoke with the league, schools and other clubs.”

The Tigers are hopeful of having an under-16 side.

Rams coach Gavin Sporale says his club will again be without junior sides.

“We tried everything and we couldn’t get the numbers needed. We flirted with having under-16s and under-12s but couldn’t get it over the line.

“We put so much time into it, it’s disappointing to see it fail,” he said.

Sporale says his club is one of the three-four clubs struggling for numbers at the under-18.5 level.

“We’ve put in a couple of exemption requests and if they go through we should have 19-20 players.”

Romsey is another club struggling for numbers for its under-18.5.

Redbacks president Wayne Milburn says he’s confident his club will get the required players in coming weeks.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…