MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Ward talk wrong place for mayor’s statement, says councillor

Ward talk wrong place for mayor’s statement, says councillor

A Melton councillor has criticised mayor Kathy Majdlik for using a
council advertisement to declare her innocence following a local
government inspectorate investigation.

The “ward talks” are typically used by councillors to inform residents of specific events happening in Melton’s three wards.

Cr Majdlik also addressed last week’s council meeting, refuting
claims that she offered an election candidate budget money in exchange
for preferences ahead of last October’s poll.

As reported in the Weekly, the inspectorate’s investigation ended on August 16, due to “insufficient evidence to support a criminal prosecution under Section 59 of the Local Government Act”.

In the advertisement and in last week’s speech Cr Majdlik said the
complaint alleged that she offered election candidate Nathan Miles
council funding for an improved animal management fund. Cr Broden Borg
said he believed the advertisement was an inappropriate use of
ratepayers’ money.

“I don’t think that was the right forum to name and shame
particular members of our community without them having the ability for a
right of reply,” he said.

“Residents look at ward talk to see what’s new in their ward, they
don’t want to read about personal circumstances of councillors.”

Residents have used a community social-media page operated by Cr Borg to complain about Cr Majdlik’s use of the advertisement.

However, the council’s chief executive, Kel Tori, said every
councillor was free to use the advertisements to make “any statement on
any topic they like”.

“As she is entitled, the mayor chose to use her scheduled column
to set the record straight in relation to unsustained allegations that
were widely reported in the press,” Mr Tori said.

“For the same reason, the mayor saw fit to make a public statement
in chambers during the last council meeting.” He said Cr Majdlik was
“absolutely entitled” to have her say in a public forum.

Mr Miles said he had been denied the chance to reply.

“I think it’s inappropriate that she’s used the ward talk to push her own agenda,” he said.

“It’s designed to inform constituents of things going on in the
area. It’s also inappropriate that she read the speech out at the
meeting.”

A spokesman for the inspectorate last week confirmed it was assessing another complaint received about last year’s election.

Digital Editions


  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai,…

More News

  • What to look forward to in Moorabool

    What to look forward to in Moorabool

    Moorabool council is set to host an abundance of music and literature events across Bacchus marsh, Ballan and Blackwood this year, pairing with local artists and visiting talent. Council was…

  • Community calendar

    Community calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Volunteer with L2P Help a disadvantaged young person gain essential driving hours by becoming an L2P Volunteer Driving Mentor. A few hours a…

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…