MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Devastating Melton fire was from the ‘gates of hell’

Devastating Melton fire was from the ‘gates of hell’

This summer marks 30 years since a devastating fire blasted through Melton, destroying 14 homes and a business on January 14, 1985.

Stephen Hirt, who was then the captain of the CFA’s Region 14 crew at Melton, described the events as “Ash Wednesday all over again”.

“It was like the gates of hell had been opened,” he said at the time.

Thirty years on, Mr Hirt, who is still a volunteer firefighter at Melton, remembers everything about the day.

“It’s gone, but it hasn’t been forgotten,” he said.

He remembers the first call-out to Myrniong that morning at 9am; he remembers the weather – high temperatures and wild winds – and he remembers the conditions: “very dry”.

“The day was similar to a day like Black Saturday,” Mr Hirt said.

“We started in the morning and went to a fire in Myrniong. From then on, our vehicles never came home all day.

“They went to Truganina, Bacchus Marsh, Ballan and Little River. You didn’t think you were going to get home.”

Fourteen houses were lost in the fires in just half an hour, Mr Hirt recalls.

And sheds at Melton Dairy were gutted.

“We didn’t lose any lives; that was the main thing,” Mr Hirt said.

The fire started on the Melton side of Long Forrest Road about 7pm and roared down the gorge by Djerriwarrh Creek.

As reported in The Mail-Express, fierce winds were clocked at 100 kilometres an hour. They forced the flames to leap the former Western highway in several places, splitting the fire toward both Melton and Melton South and bringing traffic to a halt.

“There were no houses on the west side of Arnolds Creek at that time,” Mr Hirt said.

“In the creek, there was a lot of rubble and the wind got it.

“It was like an inferno,” he said. “It just ripped across; it was lighting houses up two streets away.”

Decades on, Mr Hirt says it is “definitely” possible for such fires to happen again.

“It’s a time when we shouldn’t say it couldn’t happen again,” he said.

“Let’s hope it doesn’t.”

Mr Hirt’s son, Jayson, the senior station officer at Melton CFA, is urging the community to remain vigilant for the remainder of this summer and use fire information available on the CFA website and app.

“People shouldn’t fall into a lull, thinking that summer is over. Still be as cautious as you would leading into summer,” Mr Hirt jnr said.

“Make sure your gardens and property are still maintained and ensure driveways have truck access to your property.”

Warm weather is predicted to continue throughout this month and in March.

Be fire ready

For more information on how to be fire-ready, go online to www.cfa.vic.gov.au.

The front page of The Mail-Express, January 16, 1985.

Digital Editions


  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening…

More News

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…