MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Callous thieves steal SES equipment

Callous thieves steal SES equipment

Bacchus Marsh State Emergency Service volunteers are reeling after heartless thieves stole equipment from their Gisborne Road headquarters.

At about 3.40am on Monday, two offenders, one wearing a balaclava and the other wearing a hood over their face, forced their way inside through a door.

They made off with a red Honda 2KVA generator, a Stihl 029 chainsaw, a brand new Stihl MS362 chainsaw, which was only handed to Bacchus Marsh SES last week as part of the AAMI handover program.

generator (1)
A generator similar to one that was stolen.

Deputy controller of operations Bill Robson told Star Weekly his volunteers were disappointed and frustrated the thieves thought they could help themselves to their equipment.

“I feel for our members because I know how hard they fundraise throughout the year, spending their own time on the weekend to fundraise to buy this stuff,” Mr Robson said.

“And we want to have good equipment so we cna provide a good service to our community. We keep the equipment in good condition, and then to have someone come in and help themselves – not only do we suffer, but the community suffers.”

The chainsaws are vital when responding to flood emergencies, Mr Robson said, with more than 70 per cent of their call outs relating to flood incidents.

Mr Robson said the value of the items stolen, and the damage caused to the unit, was likely to be more than $6000.

“It was a setback that was unnecessary and selfish of the two people who broke in. We’ve had police here this morning and they’re conducting their investigation. We just hope the people can be identified.”

The chainsaws are orange-grey and the generator red, Mr Robson said.

If anyone notices the stolen equipment being sold or has information, they are urged to contact Bacchus Marsh police on 5366 4500.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…