MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » PTV hears about Ballarat line concerns

PTV hears about Ballarat line concerns

Frequency of services, overcrowded trains and infrastructure that hasn’t kept up with Melton’s growth rate were only a few of the issues discussed at a Public Transport Victoria forum last week.

While fewer than a dozen people attended the forum in Melton South, all agreed PTV needed to put more services on the Ballarat line, extend the timetable from Southern Cross to Ballarat until later at night and add more carriages.

“We used to have one train every hour, but in June, for the first time, they gave us a train every half an hour, which is a good thing,” one commuter said at the forum.

“But after 6pm, it goes back to every hour and the last train from Southern Cross [on the weekend] is at 10.15… if you’re coming home from the city late at night, you have no hope of catching a train.”

Some commuters said they had to drive to Watergardens or Sunshine stations to pick up their children if they were coming home late by train.

While the frequency of services had increased during peak times since the Regional Rail Link timetable was unveiled in June, commuters said they felt short-changed because nothing had changed in off-peak times. “A lot of people are standing up [on the train],” another commuter said.

“I was in the carriage at 10am and I still had to stand up; there were only three carriages.

“By the time the train from Ballarat gets to Melton it’s full.

“In peak hours, schoolkids are sitting on the floor.”

People at the forum pleaded with PTV to “please just give us a service so we can use it”.

“Compare Geelong to us. Their last service leaves Southern Cross at 1.10am; it’s not fair,” one said.

“And they have a service every half hour. It’s not right. Are we a forgotten suburb? Makes you wonder if we are.”

A similar forum was held at Bacchus Marsh on the same day.

The purpose of the forums was to allow PTV and V/Line to hear from residents about their ideas for the public transport needs of Melton and Bacchus Marsh.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…