MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Underbank site rezoning proposal to go to panel

Underbank site rezoning proposal to go to panel

Controversial plans to rezone a 167-hectare site in Bacchus Marsh for a future residential estate will be assessed by a state government panel.

About 45 residents attended a Moorabool council meeting last Tuesday when a casting vote by mayor Paul Tatchell determined that the Underbank rezoning proposal would be referred to an advisory panel.

Six residents spoke against plans to rezone the former Underbank Stud Farm, which would bring Kataland Developments’ plan to build a 1400-house estate west of Bacchus Marsh a step closer.

The area has been identified in the Moorabool Planning Scheme as “potential residential” since 2009.

Bacchus Marsh’s Peter Matters said residents were not being listened to.

“I have major issues concerning the traffic, building stages, fire and flood risk, damage to the environment and heritage of the land,” he said, adding that about 7000 vehicles travelled through the area every day and the development would double that number, adding to Bacchus Marsh’s traffic woes.

“I feel very strongly that alternative access off Halletts Way should be a prerequisite to building any houses on this land.”

Cr Tatchell said referring the proposal to a panel would give the council more power to ‘‘dissect’’ the plans.

“There was a preconception that council was making a decision on Underbank being built, but we weren’t. We were making a decision as to whether it had the integrity to go to a panel.”

Adrian Rowell, who has lived in Underbank Boulevard for more than 11 years, said he hoped the two areas nominated for neighbourhood amenities meant a new school would be built. “With this increase in population, we’ll need it.”

Nick Hooper, speaking on behalf of Kataland, told last week’s meeting the company was happy to continue discussions with the community throughout the panel process. “In relation to traffic matters, if plans need to be tweaked, we’re happy to talk to council and work through the panel process.”

Cr Tatchell said if the council had turned down the panel option, Kataland could have taken the proposal directly to the Planning Minister for approval.

“If we do it this way, at least we can control how development happens and can have a say on lot sizes, traffic issues and social concerns,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…