MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Bride vows to get refund over wedding reception

Bride vows to get refund over wedding reception

A soon-to-be bride who booked a wedding reception at a Long Forest venue that has been banned from hosting functions has applied to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal seeking a refund.

Keilor Downs resident Lizelle Magayanes, who is getting married next month, made a $6200 booking with Boyd Baker House in September last year.

She said the function centre’s operators took her booking, despite being temporarily banned by Moorabool council for not having appropriate planning permits in early 2013.

The CFA has said the function centre, which can cater for up to 200 guests, posed an unacceptable fire risk. A planning application to resume operations was refused by the council in December.

The application proceeded to VCAT, with the next hearing to be held this Thursday.

Ms Magayanes said the operators offered her a refund in January, saying they couldn’t promise the venue would be running in time.

“I’ve been waiting for the money since, and we’ve had to look for a new venue, change churches and re-jig wedding plans.” Ms Magayanes was told the operators needed four weeks to refund the money, and she contacted them again after that period. “It’s hard enough planning a wedding, let alone with money owed to us.”

Ms Magayanes contacted Consumer Affairs Victoria, who informed the venue’s operators they had until March 17 to repay her.

“I still haven’t received my money, and they’ve now asked me for an extension on paying me back until April 8. I find that unacceptable,” she said.

“Consumer Affairs have informed me it will take between three and four months for a hearing date, which is not ideal, but at least it’s something.”

The venue’s operators could not be reached for comment.

Consumer Affairs Victoria spokesman Travers Purton said 768 refund-related disputes were reported last year.

“If a business and its customer cannot resolve a dispute with [our] assistance, they can take it further by applying for a civil claims hearing at VCAT.”

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal.…

More News

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…