MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Two charged over body in boot on Bulla-Diggers Rest Road

Two charged over body in boot on Bulla-Diggers Rest Road

Police have charged two men over the murder of Kenan Balikel, whose charred body was found in the boot of his car on the Bulla-Diggers Rest Road last year.

John Butorac, 58, of Keilor Downs, was charged with murder and Ante Bacak, 45, of Kealba, with being an accessory to murder.

Butorac was remanded in custody to appear in court this week.

Bacak appeared in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday and was granted bail on condition he surrender his passport and report to police three times a week. Police allege Bacak helped Butorac set alight Mr Balikel’s car and made a false statement to police.

Two weeks ago, homicide squad police released the 14-kilometre route taken by Mr Balikel’s unregistered Peugeot on the night he was murdered.

They said at the time another car had probably followed the Peugeot so the driver could leave the scene after dumping Mr Balikel’s body.

Detectives examined CCTV footage from surrounding areas and said they were trying to identify a 4WD travelling closely behind the Peugeot at about 11.40pm on the night of Mr Balikel’s murder.

A spokeswoman said police were no longer looking for the 4WD.

Detective Senior Sergeant Stuart Bailey said he believed Mr Balikel was murdered near Freight Road, Tullamarine, before his body was transported to Diggers Rest.

“Our investigations have led us to believe Kenan was killed some time between 3 and 4pm near where he was last seen in Freight Road,” Detective Senior Sergeant Bailey said.

The body of Mr Balikel, 42, was burnt so badly police were able to identify him only through a fingerprint because one of his hands was caught beneath his body in the boot of his car.

Police said Mr Balikel was on the police register because he was convicted of handling stolen goods in 2001.

Can you help?

Anyone with information is urged to contact CrimeStoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential report at crimestoppersvic.com.au.

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal.…

More News

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…