MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » CFA warning ahead of summer

CFA warning ahead of summer

The CFA is urging the community to act safely this summer, as it said nearly half of all bush and grassfires in Victoria are being caused by reckless behaviour.

The CFA said the summer seasonal outlook says to expect an above average fire season in parts of the state this year.

CFA chief officer Jason Heffernan said recklessly, or deliberately lit bush and grass fires have potentially disastrous consequences.

“These types of fires are avoidable. They put our firefighters at risk and the community at risk,” he said.

“We are urging everyone to be mindful of their actions and act sensibly to protect yourself and your loved ones.”

Early last year crews responded to a fire in Wyndham Vale where a cigarette butt was allegedly discarded incorrectly which lit some trees on fire, also impacting a house.

The CFA said reckless behaviour can include disobeying restrictions relating to total fire ban or fire danger periods, leaving campfires unattended, burning off without a permit, or using hot tools or machinery that emits flames or sparks on total fire ban days.

It is a criminal offence under Victorian law to cause a bushfire recklessly, or to be reckless as to the spread of a fire to vegetation or property belonging to another.

The official bushfire seasonal outlook for summer released by the Australian and New Zealand National Council for Fire and Emergency Services (AFAC), suggests an increased bushfire risk for parts of Victoria this year due to severe rainfall deficits.

An increased risk of fire is forecast for the south-west and western Victoria, as well as north central, east central and south-west Gippsland.

This includes Melbourne’s outer suburbs.

Mr Heffernan said all Victorians would play a role in keeping everyone safe this summer.

“It only takes one bad day to have a bad fire season, so we need to stay vigilant,” he said.

“We know we have a challenging season ahead and we want to ensure our firefighters are not being called out for things that could have been avoided.”

Fire restrictions are now in effect across most of Victoria and Mr Heffernan urged people to follow the rules of the fire danger period.

“Make sure you understand the rules, they are there to keep us all safe,” he said.

“Before the festive season gets too busy, take time to make an escape plan, especially if you’re travelling to a bushfire risk area.

“Your plan should include which fire danger rating will trigger your decision to leave, where you’ll go, and how you’ll get there. Always consider different scenarios and back-up plans.

“Leaving early, either the night before or early morning on a high-risk fire day, is the safest option.”

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…