MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Cr ‘safety’ concerns

Cr ‘safety’ concerns

A Melton councillor says she feels ’unsafe’ attending council meetings in person.

Councillor Ashleigh Vandenberg didn’t attend this week’s council meeting, apologising to residents on social media and accusing the council of denying her online access to the meeting.

Cr Vandenberg, who was listed as ’not attending’, was one of four councillors absent from Monday’s meeting. Councillors Phillip Zada and John Verdon were listed as apologies, and councillor Sophie Ramsey was on an approved leave of absence.

In a statement published on her Facebook page, Cr Vandenberg said that she contacted Melton the week prior to the meeting, requesting a link to join the meeting online.

“Due to events around my safety brought on by a false and defamatory official [mayoral] statement published through [the] official [Melton] account and website … last week I sought council to provide me a link to participate in tonight’s [Monday’s] meeting for my personal safety,” she wrote.

“Council has denied me this request despite being knowledgeable of the current circumstances and participating in them.

“I am not an apology, nor am I unwell to participate in tonight’s meeting. I am being denied access to represent my ward and community due to the actions of our local government.”

A Melton council spokesperson confirmed that Cr Vandenberg had requested a meeting link to remotely attend the meeting.

“[Melton’s] council chamber does not have the audio and visual technology for hybrid meetings. Council’s chamber has never had this technology for a councillor to attend an in-person meeting online,” the spokesperson said.

“During [Covid], council held its council meetings with all councillors online. After [this], council returned to in-person meetings.

“The September 2025 council meeting was advertised as an in-person meeting with members of the public in attendance. Additional security measures were offered to Cr Vandenberg to accommodate her in-person attendance.”

Star Weekly observed two security guards at the meeting, with one stationed either side of the doors to the council chamber.

On September 18, Melton mayor Steve Abboushi released a statement confirming that Cr Vandenberg has been referred to the local government minister and Local Government Inspectorate over a series of social media posts.

“Cr Vandenberg has made various unsubstantiated accusations of bullying, harassment and vilification. While council takes such accusations seriously, Cr Vandenberg has failed to provide any information or evidence to support them, despite repeated requests,“ his statement read.

Digital Editions


  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars about to…

More News

  • Dog park breaks ground

    Dog park breaks ground

    There’s good news for Moorabool residents with a furry friend, as ground has broken on a brand new off-leash dog park in Maddingley. Site works have begun on the off-leash…

  • Paw-sitive impact

    Paw-sitive impact

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534816 Meet Bunji, the wellbeing superstar who’s turning heads at Melton Specialist School and showing the important role therapy dogs can play in school…

  • More extended pool hours

    More extended pool hours

    Residents looking to cool off this week can head to the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan outdoor pools, which are set to open on Thursday 19 February, through to Saturday 21…

  • Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    There was as much relief as excitement when Keayang Zahara romped home and banked a $500,000 bonus in the Group 1 Great Southern Star. Co-trainer Paddy Lee conceded it had…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Five arrested following Deanside pursuit and crash

    Five arrested following Deanside pursuit and crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police have arrested five teenagers after an incident where a male was allegedly assaulted and dragged into a vehicle before being involved in…

  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of the season, the Eagles put…

  • Driving for greatness

    Driving for greatness

    Djerriwarrh Community and Education Services is welcoming new volunteers to join itdsL2P program, helping learner drivers reach their supervised driving goals and get going on the road with confidence. Since…

  • My Place

    My Place

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533986 Kate Newitt is the principal of the recently de-merged Hillside Primary School. She spoke to Sam Porter about her role and her connection…