MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » United granted extra time

United granted extra time

Western United has been granted an extension of time to lodge an appeal of Football Australia’s decision to withdraw its A-League licence.

As reported by Star Weekly, the club’s current ownership have been unable to satisfy the financial criteria required to maintain their licence, and had seven days to appeal the decision to strip the club of its licence.

United has been in financial turmoil for months, with players and staff paid late in April, May and June while superannuation payments were also delayed.

United, led by chairman Jason Sourasis, had hoped their issues would be solved by a planned takeover by American group KAM Sports, which was announced in May – but that is yet to be completed.

That seven days has passed, with United putting out a statement on Monday afternoon.

“Western United Football Club confirms it has today been granted an extension of time to lodge an appeal of Football Australia’s decision to withdraw its A-League licence,“ the statement said.

“We’d like to thank our loyal fans, members and partners that have rallied around the club in the past week. The support and love for the green and black from the community has been overwhelming. It is these supporters that we will continue to fight for.

“As this is a regulatory process, the club will be making no further comment at this time.“

Previously an FA spokesperson said that the First Instance Board (FIB) – an independent body established under the National Club Licensing Regulations – has convened and determined that Western United has failed to meet the criteria required to be granted an A-League license.

“As such Western United FC’s license has been withdrawn, effective immediately,“ they said at the time.

“Western United FC can appeal this decision to the appeals body established under the regulations on certain grounds outlined in the regulations.

“This outcome, while regrettable, reflects Football Australia’s ongoing commitment to upholding the integrity, stability, and fairness of competitions for all clubs, players, and stakeholders.”

Western United said at the time the club would fight the stripping of their A-Leagues licence.

“The club will be exercising its right to appeal the decision immediately, with confidence of a positive outcome as the sale of the club and injection of capital from KAM Melbourne continues to progress,“ it said.

“We wish to assure every single member, supporter and the broader Australian football public that we will fight for our club with the same spirit, belief and resilience that has defined us from the very beginning.

“We will continue to stand together as we have done in the face of adversity in the past, and we will exhaust every avenue to continue being able to represent our community with pride.“

Digital Editions


  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai,…

More News

  • What to look forward to in Moorabool

    What to look forward to in Moorabool

    Moorabool council is set to host an abundance of music and literature events across Bacchus marsh, Ballan and Blackwood this year, pairing with local artists and visiting talent. Council was…

  • Community calendar

    Community calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Volunteer with L2P Help a disadvantaged young person gain essential driving hours by becoming an L2P Volunteer Driving Mentor. A few hours a…

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…