MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Star Kiwis bound for February 1 features at Melton

Star Kiwis bound for February 1 features at Melton

Five years is a long time to wait for redemption.

In racing, entire careers start, blossom and end much quicker than that all the time.

But five years to the day when he last raced and finished unplaced in the Great Southern Star, Kiwi speed machine Oscar Bonavena is heading back to Melton for a another shot at the title.

The title has of course changed. The Great Southern Star was 2760m mobile back on February 1, 2020 when Oscar Bonavena sat parked and finished a brave fourth to Tornado Valley.

He had arrived in Melbourne as trotting’s next big thing, but his mind wasn’t as sharp as his sprint and Oscar wasn’t the first New Zealand horse to be caught out by the Australian hustle and bustle.

So much has happened since. Unsoundness, wildness years, changing stables, changing back, then a Trotter of the Year season in 2023.

Oscar looked to have maybe hit a wall again in the first half of 2024 – a wall called Just Believe – but the real Oscar finally downed the little Aussie hero in the NZ Free-For-All on Show Day and has been brilliant since, albeit galloping early in this week’s National Trot before a huge recovery for third.

That was enough to convince trainers Mark and Nathan Purdon that Oscar should go back to Melton to try this back-to-the-future Great Southern Star, which includes two mobile sprint heats in one night like it used to be.

“He deserves another shot over there,” Nathan said. “He has never been sounder and is racing so well even after that little gallop this week.

“So the plan will be to try and race here (Alex Park) again before he goes over, but if he has to go over there for a lead-up race that will be okay too.

“The way he is racing these days, sprinting seems to really suit him and I think the Great Southern Star format will be good for him.

“And obviously Just Believe isn’t going to be there.”

With defending champion Callmethebreeze also set to miss the GSS, Oscar Bonavena is at least as good as the locals but will still have to contend with new Inter Dominion champion and natural speedster The Locomotive.

Oscar Bonavena will have some big-name company on the trip too with Don’t Stop Dreaming returning for the Hunter Cup, the race he pushed Leap To Fame so close in last year.

“He has had no luck, but he has also had some hard racing and sometimes I think that has gotten to him,” Purdon said.

“But he is a very good horse, and these good horses have to race in these big races – that is where the money is.

“So he will follow the same racing and travel plans as Oscar, but after the Hunter Cup we will look at taking him to Sydney.”

That will be the extent of the Purdon influence in Australia as Chase A Dream is unlikely to head to either venue, with the father-and-son team to soon start their yearling sales work.

“All stables need to replenish, and we will be definitely doing that this year,” said Nathan.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 497716 Cancer Council is calling on Aussies to rally their family, friends, and especially their workmates, for Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, the nation’s iconic…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Di Filippo headed west

    Di Filippo headed west

    The Western Warriors have suffered a blow with midcourter Simona Di Filippo headed across the country to continue her netball career. Di Filippo, an inaugural player at the Warriors, was…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…