MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Fire Rescue Victoria commissioner appointed

Fire Rescue Victoria commissioner appointed

Acting fire rescue commissioner Gavin Freeman has been appointed as the new commissioner of Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV).

Emergency Services Minister Jaclyn Symes announced Mr Freeman’s appointment to the role for five years, effective from Wednesday, May 24.

Mr Freeman is a highly experienced leader with more than 35 years’ experience in emergency management and fire services.

He served as the Victorian state response controller during the 2019-20 bushfire season and has been deployed across Australia and internationally in response to major fires.

Mr Freeman also spent more than 30 years in the Tasmania Fire Service, where he held several senior roles including deputy chief officer and was awarded the Australian Fire Service Medal in 2011.

Prior to this appointment, Mr Freeman held the position of deputy commissioner – operations at FRV and has been acting commissioner since March 2023. Previously he held the position of deputy chief officer with the Country Fire Authority (CFA).

FRV was established in July 2020 and has brought together the state’s career firefighters under a single organisation, while restoring CFA to a community-based, volunteer firefighting organisation..

Emergency Services Minister Jaclyn Symes said she was pleased to announce Mr Freeman’s appointment and is looking forward to working closely with him.

“Mr Freeman is a highly experienced leader within Victoria’s emergency management sector and his extensive experience and qualifications will be essential in his leadership of FRV,” she said.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…