MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Keane ready for second chance

Keane ready for second chance

Western United striker Hannah Keane had always wanted a second opportunity to come out to Australia to play in the A-League Women’s competition.

After not playing in her first stint while at Melbourne City, Keane went away and worked on her game playing at home in America and in Europe.

But the itch to play in Australia still remained in the background.

“Last time I was with Melbourne City I thought I had a spot up until the last week,” she said. “They brought in another international, a seasoned pro. I would have picked her over me too.

“I think I would have been able to do well in this league.

“I’ve got a better outlook on soccer and football and come back with all these experiences I have now.”

Keane said getting her second chance was the perfect result of the disappointment of last time.

She said her signing with United seemed to be the perfect match.

“I reached out to my old NPL [National Premier League] coach at Alamein from the last time I was here,” he said.

“I asked if he knew any A-League coaches and whether he could give me some contact details so I could scope out interest.

“He goes, ‘in five minutes Mark [Western United coach [Mark Torcaso] is going to call you’. He coached Calder United and he remembered me.

“He gave me these spiel and it looked good and I thought I should give it a chance.”

Keane would quickly sign on as the club’s first female international player, which she said was really special with the small number of internationals allowed to play in the competition.

Keane has already had an impact in the club’s two practice matches, both against Melbourne Victory.

She scored the winner in their first match, while she also scored in the side’s win on Thursday against Victory.

“I’m really proud of everyone,” she said.

“I’m a striker so the aim is to score a lot of goals, but looking more at a non-personal want, I want Western to show what it can be.

“They’re training the players really well and there’s a good culture for the girls and the back room staff.

“Everyone is putting time and effort and hopefully only good results can come from that.”

Keane said that while coach Mark Torcaso isn’t putting much pressure on the group, heading into the season, she said the girls were keen to show they mean business.

The side kicks off their campaign on Saturday against Melbourne Victory.

“Mark says no pressure, it is fine whatever happens,” she said.

“We want to show them… We know we can beat them

“We’re in our first season at the club. We’re really motivated, and really fired up to go well.”

United will play their first match this Saturday against Victory at their home ground in Caroline Springs.

Keane said they can’t wait to take to the field.

“We’re so ready, but I’m also a little bit nervous,” she said.

“We play Victory and they know what we are about as we beat them. It’ll be really fun at home in the west showing the community pathway to the A-League can be successful.”

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…