MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » New council Christmas event quashed

New council Christmas event quashed

Melton council has quashed potential plans for a new Christmas event in the municipality, which would have seen funding reallocated away from a community organisation and into a fresh council event.

In a council meeting on August 15, officers presented a report that recommended council plan and deliver an annual Christmas event in Caroline Springs, in addition to the Carols by Candlelight event held in Melton.

The current Caroline Springs event is run by religious group In Church, which has received $40,000 in funding annually from council since 2017.

The report proposed that the funding be withdrawn from In Church and used for a council-run event, which would include community performances, a twilight Christmas market, roving entertainment and more.

The report stated that no public consultation had been undertaken in preparing the report.

Councillor Steve Abboushi proposed an alternate motion, that the council provide funding to In Church this year and consult with the community about the future of Christmas events, which was carried unanimously.

Cr Abboushi said that convincing his fellow councillors to vote against a council-run event in Caroline Springs did not come easily.

“I contacted the church the day of the meeting, to talk to the pastor and see how he was feeling about it and he had no idea that this was even on the cards,” Cr Abboushi said.

“I didn’t think it was the right thing to do… the church feedback was that planning had already commenced for this year,” he said.

Cr Abboushi said he’d convinced councillors that it was too close to Christmas to make the change, but the option for a second council-run event would be reviewed next year.

In Church spokesperson Christine Pettit said the organisation was “very grateful” to receive funding for another year and had always created an event where everyone was welcome.

“We’re so grateful that we can do it live this year, because the last few years have been online, we’re really looking forward to seeing everybody and everybody’s welcome.”

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal.…

More News

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…