MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Ballarat FNL set to resume

Ballarat FNL set to resume

Ballarat Football Netball League games are set to resume this weekend after two rounds were abandoned during the snap COVID-19 lockdown.

The state government last week eased restriction across both regional Victoria and metro Melbourne, paving the way for round nine matches to proceed.

Melton will clash with Lake Wendouree at Wendouree Reserve, Darley take on Redan at City Oval, Bacchus Marsh travel to Sunbury for a fixture at Clarke Oval while Melton South host East Point at Melton Recreation Reserve. All matches are due to kick off at 2.15pm.

With the league in the unique position of having senior clubs in both metro and regional areas, conflicting restrictions have complicated the path to a resumption of play.

A league spokesperson said the latest easing of restrictions provides some clarity and direction for football and netball players across the region to return to competition.

“Planning is underway for the resumption of play from Saturday June 19 given the possibility of metro clubs being able to return to settings that are consistent with regional Victoria,” the spokesperson said.

“The make-up of the home and away fixture and dates for finals are being considered by the board of the BFNL, through consultation with senior clubs and an announcement expected in coming days.”

Round Seven and Eight matches scheduled were abandoned and play was also been ruled out for the Queen’s Birthday long weekend.

No points or percentage will be awarded to any team for the abandoned rounds and points previously allocated for a bye are being removed.

Missed matches are unlikely to be rescheduled.

The final details of the resumption of the senior competitions will depend on further advice from government, health authorities and AFL Victoria.

Junior football and netball was able to resume last weekend after round seven was abandoned.

Round five of BFLW Youth, abandoned on May 30, has been rescheduled for July 25 where the full bye was due to be held.

Protocols have been introduced for clubs and members to abide with in line with health advice to allow competition to recommence.

These include only one parent being permitted per child playing football or netball and players being advised to arrive at the venue ready to play and leave at the completion of their game.

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 497716 Cancer Council is calling on Aussies to rally their family, friends, and especially their workmates, for Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, the nation’s iconic…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Di Filippo headed west

    Di Filippo headed west

    The Western Warriors have suffered a blow with midcourter Simona Di Filippo headed across the country to continue her netball career. Di Filippo, an inaugural player at the Warriors, was…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…