MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Landfill bid goes to waste

Landfill bid goes to waste

An application to expand the landfill operations at Maddingley Brown Coal has been withdrawn.

The Maddingley Brown Coal site at Tilleys Road handles landfill and recycling materials, as well as mines for coal.

An application by MBC to amend the planning permit for the waste portion of the facility was submitted to the council in September 2018, and sought to include household waste that contains putrescible organics, waste from litter bins collected by or on behalf of local councils, manure and night soil, disposable nappies, incontinence pads or sanitary napkins, food and animal waste.

Moorabool council was due to consider the application at a special meeting of council on September 30, however the application was withdrawn on September 10.

Community planning manager Henry Bezuidenhout said MBC may re-apply to amend the planning permit.

“Council will not have the opportunity to consider this now,” Mr Bezuidenhout said.

“We have no indication as to whether the applicant will apply for another planning amendment, but this is a possibility.

“We will continue to keep the community informed of any developments, and wish to thank everyone affected who took the time to make submissions.”

The planning application had been a source of unease in the community, with several residents concerned about the impacts of expanding the landfill.

Bacchus Marsh Grammar, which lies less than three kilometres from MBC, flagged moving its campus if the planning application was approved

MBC environmental manager Tim Tillig said they were still considering the site’s future.

“MBC has considered a range of additional strategic uses for the site and these are currently under assessment,” Mr Tillig said.

“At the right time, we will engage with state and local government stakeholders, as well as the local community on these initiatives.”

Digital Editions


  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…

  • Jumpstarting young refugees driving journeys

    Jumpstarting young refugees driving journeys

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 228084 A new program will help young people from refugee backgrounds learn to drive. Minister for Roads and Road Safety Melissa Horne announced the…