MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Bowls Victoria: Melton pair set for championships

Bowls Victoria: Melton pair set for championships

Melton Bowls Club duo Mick Galakos and Ray Gnjidic have qualified for next year’s Victorian bowls championships.

Galakos and Gnjidic won the west metro pairs event last month, booking their place in the February championships.

They will take on pairs from 15 other Victorian regions, with the winners set to claim the Victorian title and go on to represent the state at the national championships.

Melton Bowls Club secretary John Adams says it’s a great result for the pair.

“They’ve played pennant and a few social bowls,” he said. “It’s really the first time they have played in any championships. They just gelled really well. You have to win all your games … they won about six to grab it.

“They both play in division 1. They’re in separate rinks, but they do play in the same side.”

The state championships will be held in Bendigo.

The pair’s selection continues what has been a great start to the new season for Melton, which is proving hard to beat in division 1 pennant.

After a big player turnover in the off-season, the new faces have fitted in well, with the club’s top side racing to 3-0 after three rounds. Despite dropping its next two games, Melton remains safely inside the division 1 top four.

Adams said it was a fine balance between pushing for the finals and avoiding the relegation zone.

“We were a little bit surprised with how we have been going,” he said. “We really needed to win these early games.

“We need to try and save relegation and then, at Christmas, if we are in the position we will try and push on.

“We have to persevere with the players we’ve got. If anyone loses form, we will make minor changes and try to rebound.”

Sitting on top of the ladder and undefeated in the division is early premiership favourite Altona.

The A’s are coming off a dominant 2013 season and Adams again expects them to be one of the teams to beat at the business end of the season.

“They have come up from division 2 and I think they were undefeated last year,” he said.

“They haven’t been beaten this year, either, and have a lot of players who have played premier league. They are going to be hard to beat.”

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Di Filippo headed west

    Di Filippo headed west

    The Western Warriors have suffered a blow with midcourter Simona Di Filippo headed across the country to continue her netball career. Di Filippo, an inaugural player at the Warriors, was…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…

  • Mustang juniors thrive

    Mustang juniors thrive

    Melton’s next generation turned their attention to indoor hockey over the summer breaks. The Mustangs had three sides play in the Hockey Victoria junior indoor challenge. President Matthew Simpson said…