MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Coroner rules Melton South teenager’s death in fire was accidental

Coroner rules Melton South teenager’s death in fire was accidental

A teenager who feared his home would be invaded by a drug gang died in a house fire most likely caused accidentally by a cigarette, a coroner has found.

The family of Daniel Paul Sheehy believes the 18-year-old was a victim of homicide and that the fire in his Melton South bedroom, in the early hours of March 14, 2012, was suspicious.

Hours before the blaze, Mr Sheehy told his girlfriend of fears he had of a man who had threatened him, over suspicions Mr Sheehy had spoken about the man to a drug dealer.

The night before he died, the teenager also told his father he was worried members of a drug gang would “run through” their home, state coroner Ian Gray said in findings on Thursday.

Mr Sheehy had also claimed in the month before he died, the Coroners Court had heard, that a drug dealer he knew of had put a gun to his head, forced him into the boot of a car and threatened him.

In an inquest last year, Judge Gray requested police quiz five men over Mr Sheehy’s death. Those men all deny any involvement.

Judge Gray said in his findings he could have compelled the men to give evidence had the forensic evidence suggested the fire was intentionally lit.

But the state coroner instead found the fire was most likely caused by a cigarette that was either carelessly discarded or not extinguished.

Mr Sheehy was known to smoke cigarettes and ice pipes on his bed.

Investigators did not find any trace of an accelerant or flammable liquid inside the bedroom.

“On that evidence, there is no objective reason to conclude that Daniel’s death was due to foul play,” Judge Gray said.

He said police had investigated the death thoroughly because of the concerns the teenager had in the hours before he died. Judge Gray said despite those worries, Mr Sheehy’s death appeared accidental, not intentional.

“I fully appreciate that it is difficult for the family to accept, but on the evidence it was, in fact, a coincidence.”

The inquest was told Mr Sheehy suffered a leg injury that prevented him from getting up when his father, Damien, reached out to him before the flames pushed the older man back.

The court was also told there was a hole in the bedroom window.

Judge Gray acknowledged the leg injury was a “troubling conundrum”, but found it could have been inflicted post-mortem, caused by firefighters or investigators.

Investigators believed the hole in the window was most likely where the glass burst after a build-up of pressure in the bedroom.

Related

Melton fire: Teen found dead

Grieving Melton South father’s plea for calm

Friends gather for special tribute

Digital Editions


  • Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    Merzbow to bring noise to Newport

    For almost five decades now, Tokyo-based artist Merzbow has held an undisputed position as the iconic forefather of noise music. It’s said his work, which…

More News

  • Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Australia gears up for its biggest cuppa yet!

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 497716 Cancer Council is calling on Aussies to rally their family, friends, and especially their workmates, for Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea, the nation’s iconic…

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Di Filippo headed west

    Di Filippo headed west

    The Western Warriors have suffered a blow with midcourter Simona Di Filippo headed across the country to continue her netball career. Di Filippo, an inaugural player at the Warriors, was…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…