MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Pokies about-face fails

Pokies about-face fails

An attempt to overturn Melton council’s decision to extend Essendon Football Club’s 29-year lease of Melton Country Club has failed.

The council voted unanimously in December for Essendon’s continued operation of Melton Country Club and its 89 poker machines until the end of 2047.

But councillor Steve Abboushi put forward a rescission motion following that meeting, in a bid to enable more community voices. His motion was voted down at last Monday’s meeting, the first of the year.

“You can only try your best to minimise any harm to the community,” Cr Aboushi told

Star Weekly last week. “I didn’t have the majority in the end, which is a bit disappointing.”

Cr Aboushi and three other councillors supported the motion.

According to the Alliance for Gambling Reform, Melton suffered $27.7 million in AFL club-sponsored pokies losses across three venues in 2017 and 2018.

Hawthorn has associations with WestWaters Hotel in Caroline Springs. Collingwood was associated with The Club, also in Caroline Springs, but last year announced it was divesting itself of poker machines across the west.

Alliance director Tim Costello last year urged councillors to refuse to extend Essendon’s lease.

“If the Melton councillors are brave and reject the officer recommendation to stay in the gambling business, it will have a powerful motivating impact on the reform movement,” Mr Costello said.

Melton Country Club is home to Melton RSL.

RSL secretary Kevin Murray, has said a loss of the club’s ongoing sponsorship, facilities and hospitality would be “detrimental to the Melton RSL”.

“The Melton RSL sub-branch is a relatively new, relatively small, sub-branch,” Mr Murray said last week. “Until our entry into an agreement with the Melton Country Club, we were not able to offer our members access to the usual facilities expected of an RSL sub-branch … a dining room, bar, function rooms and, in some instances, gaming rooms. The country club is now regarded as our home.”

Mr Murray said the Melton Country Club provided financial and practical support to the RSL and the broader community.

“The investment in us by the club is the single largest donation we receive each year,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…