MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Fewer drunks, more speedsters on Melton Highway

Fewer drunks, more speedsters on Melton Highway

Melton highway patrol did not net a huge haul of road offenders over the Australia Day weekend, but officers are still concerned about drivers who flout the law.

Operation Amity 2015 started across the state on Friday, January 23, and finished last Monday. Melton and Caroline Springs police tested 2088 drivers and booked three drivers for exceeding the blood-alcohol limit; four people were driving while suspended or disqualified; eight were unlicensed; there were 49 speeding offences and one mobile phone offence; two drivers disobeyed road signs and three were caught for seatbelt offences.

Senior Sergeant Ross Burbidge said while he was “pleased” with the results, drivers needed to be more cautious and careful.

“I’m pleased we got only three drivers for exceeding the alcohol level. Normally our detection rate is one in every 300 to 400 drivers,” he said. “But we’ve still got a large number of people speeding.

“People are sometimes in a hurry, sometimes they’re not concentrating, and at other times they’re just being careless.”

He said the Western and Melton highways were, “unfortunately”, hotspots for speeding drivers.

“People don’t seem to have any care for any other drivers or themselves. The evidence is that if people speed, it increases their risk of collision.”

Senior Sergeant Burbidge said even though seatbelt offences were declining each year, police still saw a lot of people not wearing them.

“Sometimes we even see children in the back seat who aren’t wearing their seatbelts, and it’s disappointing,” he said.

Moorabool police detected two drivers exceeding the blood-alcohol limit, two were driving while suspended or disqualified, and one was unlicensed.

There were three unregistered vehicles taken off the road, 28 speeding offences recorded and three drivers who disobeyed road signs.

Road policing Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill said there was still much more to be done to make the roads safer.

“One fatality-free weekend doesn’t change the fact 18 people have lost their lives on our roads already this year,” Assistant Commissioner Hill said.

The road toll after the long weekend was 24, three more than at the same time last year.

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Di Filippo headed west

    Di Filippo headed west

    The Western Warriors have suffered a blow with midcourter Simona Di Filippo headed across the country to continue her netball career. Di Filippo, an inaugural player at the Warriors, was…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…

  • Mustang juniors thrive

    Mustang juniors thrive

    Melton’s next generation turned their attention to indoor hockey over the summer breaks. The Mustangs had three sides play in the Hockey Victoria junior indoor challenge. President Matthew Simpson said…