MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Doncaster: Teen murder accused remanded

Doncaster: Teen murder accused remanded

UPDATE: The father of Doncaster schoolgirl Masa Vukotic has faced her alleged murderer in a courtroom, fixing his gaze on Sean Price from the moment the accused man appeared in handcuffs.

Slabvoljub Vukotic had waited patiently for 90 minutes in Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday morning before staring intently at Mr Price, 31, who appeared in custody for a filing hearing.

Mr Vukotic, dressed in black, hardly took his eyes off Mr Price – who surrendered to police on Thursday – after he was led into court flanked by two custody centre officers.

The Albion man is accused of stabbing the 17-year-old VCE student in a park near her home on Tuesday.

Mr Price is also charged with offences of rape, robbery and assault allegedly committed after the death of Ms Vukotic, who was attacked while on an evening walk.

Mr Vukotic spoke to two Homicide Squad detectives outside the courtroom door before Mr Price’s appearance, and then entered just before 10am.

When Mr Price was led into the dock, he appeared to put a thumb in his mouth and widen his eyes, but otherwise sat quietly during the 15-minute hearing, which set dates for the service of the prosecution brief, the lodgement of evidence and a next appearance.

Mr Vukotic sat with a staff member of the Office of Public Prosecutions victim support team throughout the hearing.

The accused was led into court at 11.32am and sat behind the closed glass security screen.

Prosecutor Gemma Walton said he was charged on March 19 and she provided a copy of the remand summary to magistrate Charlie Rozencwajg.

Ms Walton asked for extended dates for provision of the hand-up brief and Mr Price’s appearance at a later committal mention hearing.

She explained that police needed to collate extensive CCTV footage across 12 suburbs, there were exhibits to be lodged for forensic analysis and “multiple offences” were involved.

Ms Walton also told Mr Rozencwajg that members of Ms Vukotic’s family were present.

Defence lawyer Emily Clark did not object to the application for extended dates and said her client had previously had “custody management issues”.

Ms Clark said this had involved charges that arose between Mr Price and “private detention providers” and his management in custody.

She responded to Mr Rozencwajg that Mr Price was not making allegations against custody staff and that he also did not want to be seen by a doctor or a nurse.

Mr Price was remanded to appear again on June 26.

When Mr Price was led from the dock, a voice was heard to say: “Coward.”

This story first appeared in The Age

Related

Albion man linked to Sunshine crime spree

Albion man arrested over Doncaster schoolgirl death

Digital Editions


  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai,…

More News

  • What to look forward to in Moorabool

    What to look forward to in Moorabool

    Moorabool council is set to host an abundance of music and literature events across Bacchus marsh, Ballan and Blackwood this year, pairing with local artists and visiting talent. Council was…

  • Community calendar

    Community calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Volunteer with L2P Help a disadvantaged young person gain essential driving hours by becoming an L2P Volunteer Driving Mentor. A few hours a…

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…