MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Hope after bad break

Hope after bad break

It will be Tim Van Berlo’s love for his family and rugby that drives him through the next phase of his life.

The Melton Rugby Union Club stalwart is preparing to have his lower leg amputated on Friday (April 13) and he told Star Weekly he was “actually excited” for what was to come.

Van Berlo broke his ankle during a match when he was 18 years old, almost 17 years ago, but the injury never quite healed properly.

“I’ve been involved in Melton Rugby since I was 13,” he said.

“The original break was in 2001.

“It was OK for about 12 years and during that time I was still playing, on and off.

“But there was so much damage left over from the first break.”

He discovered years later that he had fractured the same leg again while working in Western Australia and, in a cruel turn of events, he broke it severely once more.

“I was home eight hours from the hospital after one of my surgeries and I went to open a door … my leg just collapsed and my tibia snapped in half,” Van Berlo said.

“It was the most painful experience I’ve even been through.

“I’ve broken bones before, dislocated shoulders and fingers through rugby … but nothing compared to the pain of that.”

Van Berlo has since had 13 surgeries and has used crutches to get around for the past three years. He also battled a serious infection due to his leg brace.

He said amputation was a last resort for him and his medical team.

“I’m excited about it,” he said.

“It’s going to be a new start to my life.

“The pain and swelling has persisted all these years and it’s absolutely taken a toll on my life and my family.

“I haven’t been able to work since 2015 and I was in hospital for five months last year.

“My son plays rugby for Melton under-10s and all he wants is for me to be able to go to the park and kick a ball around with him. I haven’t been able to do that for years.

“My future goal is to play on the same senior team as my son.”

The Melton sporting community has rallied around Van Berlo and his family with an online crowdfunding campaign raising more than $4000 in nine days.

Donate: bit.ly/2GW4oxG

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…