MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Burnside owner shaken by attacks

Burnside owner shaken by attacks

A Burnside mini mart owner whose business has been broken into three times in the past four months is considering leaving the country after the string of violent robberies.

Thieves armed with a hammer smashed through the front doors of the milk bar on March 3 – the third attack on the business since November.

The business owner, who asked not to be named, has joined a chorus of calls by residents asking for more police in nearby Caroline Springs.

“I’m tired and exhausted and I haven’t slept and I can’t eat,” the milk bar owner told

Star Weekly last week. “My family is in Pakistan and they can’t help me when this happens.

“I came to Melbourne to make a life for me and my family and I opened my business in July … but four months after opening, thieves started breaking into my home and my shop.

“This is not life, I tried to find a good life but I haven’t found it so I want to leave.”

Police believe the car used in the robbery, which was captured on camera, was one of two vehicles stolen in a violent home invasion in Kings Park on March 2.

“These thieves are very strong and I was nearly crying I was so scared,” the business owner said.

He said he lost $9000 in cash and cigarettes in the first attack on the Burnside store, on November 22.

The store was also hit on February 4 when a man smashed through the front doors with a crowbar.

Burnside resident Derek Milligan said aggravated burglaries were becoming a weekly occurrence in the Caroline Springs area.

“I can’t even buy a decent car without the fear of putting a target on my home to get robbed these days,” Mr Milligan said.

He said he was disappointed to see so few officers stationed in the area.

Last Tuesday, Victoria Police announced the deployment of 825 additional officers across the state over the next year, starting in May. The Melton service area will get four officers and another seven will be deployed to Caroline Springs in family violence specialist roles.

A total of 300 police are being allocated to areas with the highest need including Wyndham, Melton, Hume and Cardinia while another 93 will take on specialist policing roles and 208 dedicated family violence police.

Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton said Victoria Police was focused on keeping people safe.

“To do that we need to be the best policing service we can be – agile and responsive to the needs of communities, on the front foot, preventing crime and locking up offenders,” Mr Ashton said.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…