MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Soccer » FFA Cup: It’s good Knight for Melton Phoenix

FFA Cup: It’s good Knight for Melton Phoenix

Melton’s FFA Cup soccer campaign came to an end on Saturday night, with Phoenix bundled out of the national competition by NPL Melbourne Knights.

But despite the 4-1 scoreline, Phoenix was far from outclassed on the big stage, showing no signs of nerves against an opponent that plays five leagues higher.

Picture gallery: Melton Phoenix v Melbourne Knights

Melton went into the half-time break just 1-0 down and was going toe to toe with its more highly fancied opponent.

Phoenix coach Peter Schwellinger said there were plenty of positives from the match.

“I was very happy with the performance and I think we achieved a lot,” he said.

“I think the Knights were probably a little bit surprised. They had only one or two players missing from their squad.

“We were playing a team five leagues higher which won the Dockerty Cup last year. We competed very well. It was 1-0 at half-time and it was only a couple of errors that cost us.”

Defensive lapses by Phoenix in the second half allowed the Knights to get further on top as the lead ballooned to 4-0.

But Melton refused to give in and finally scored in the closing stages.

Schwellinger, who took over as Phoenix head coach only late last year, said he was rapt by how the players had embraced his style of play.

“I’ve had a few different ideas and put players in a few different positions,” he said.

“I’m surprised how well they’ve responded. I think we’re ahead of schedule.

“We have everyone on board and they’re showing great discipline, absorbing everything really well.”

The loss ends Melton’s successful FFA Cup campaign in which the club beat Watsonia Heights, Dandenong South and Keilor Wolves on its way to the fourth round.

Melton will now look to carry the momentum into its opening state league 4 match this weekend when it hosts Altona North.

“I hope the boys don’t relax on their performances from the past two or three weeks. They need to carry on with what they’ve been doing and bring these performances to round one,” Schwellinger said.

“Complacency can creep in once you’ve been performing for a few weeks, but I think they’re all smart enough and switched on enough to know what to do.”

In other FFA Cup results, state league 1 club North Sunshine caused an upset, defeating NPL side Sunshine George Cross on penalties in a remarkable match.

The score was 4-4 after 90 minutes and 6-6 after extra time before North Sunshine won the shoot-out 10-8.

Digital Editions


  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night.…

More News

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Aussie kids salt risk

    Aussie kids salt risk

    Research taken from Deakin University has suggested most Australian children are at risk of developing high blood pressure at a younger age due to eating too much salt. In a…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from La…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project, supported…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to support the continued…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and expanded…

  • Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Forum supports women living with epilepsy across all life stages

    Epilepsy Action Australia and Australian Women with Epilepsy are inviting women across the country to take part in a powerful one-day forum designed to uplift, inform and support women living…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…