MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Ballarat rail line out of the loop

Ballarat rail line out of the loop

Public transport users have criticised construction on the Ballarat line upgrade, with the planned train line duplication falling a kilometre short of a previously created loop.

A three-kilometre stretch of track will be duplicated between Bacchus Marsh station and Kerrs Road, but the state government has confirmed there will be a gap to the Rowsley loop, built in 2016.

The duplication allows for trains going in opposite directions to pass one another without causing delays. Earthworks on the upgrade began last month.

Public Transport Users Association Ballarat convener Ben Lever said not connecting the loops was “illogical”.

“The point of the project is to get rid of these bottlenecks, but having one kilometre of single track between loops makes it so much more complicated to timetable,” he said.

“Timetabling will be hard, in particular, when one train is late and they need to be in specific spots at specific times.

“It’s just really disappointing and seems illogical that you’d duplicate and get in sight of the Rowsley loop and not link them up.

“If it’s a long stretch it’s understandable, but it’s only one kilometre.”

Regional Rail Revival project director Mark Haryvluk said detailed assessments had been carried out to determine where track duplication would take place.

Mr Haryvluk said the placement would allow trains to come out of nearby stabling facilities and would enable the delivery of extra peak services and trains every 40 minutes during off-peak periods.

The full upgrade is expected to be completed next year.

 

 

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal.…

More News

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…