MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Bridge crash a costly accident

Bridge crash a costly accident

The company that operates the bus that slammed into the notorious Montague Street bridge last year could be fined as much as $1.5 million after it was charged by Transport Safety Victoria.

A dozen people were injured when the Gold Bus operated by Bacchus Marsh Coaches hit the three-metre-high South Melbourne bridge on February 22. The bus was 3.8 metres high.

It took firefighters nearly an hour to free four people trapped inside the vehicle.

Four passengers suffered serious injuries, one with broken bones and another spent three days in intensive care. Twelve people in all, including the driver, were taken to hospital.

At the time, Metropolitan Fire Brigade commander Andrew O’Connell said the ordeal would have been “absolutely terrifying” for the people on board.

“Luckily … they all ducked their heads and closed their eyes to keep themselves out of trouble. And I think that’s actually helped them remarkably keep uninjured,” he said.

Tape was used to cover the branding on the side of the bus after the incident as the scene was cleared.

Gold Bus director Matthew Baird defended the decision.

“We are out to protect our brand,” Mr Baird said at the time.

The passengers had been travelling to see Melbourne landmarks as part of an international tourism conference.

Transport Safety Victoria, which has charged the bus company and two of its officers, alleges that “those accused knew, or ought reasonably to have known, about the risk posed by low-clearance bridges and available means to eliminate or reduce this risk.”

According to the Bus Safety Act 2009, bus service operators must ensure the safety of their service by eliminating or reducing “risks to safety so far as reasonably possible”.

Since the incident, the company had made efforts to mitigate the risk posed by low clearance bridges.

A filing hearing for the case will be held in the Magistrates’ Court on October 17, with the maximum penalty for individuals set at $285,426 and for the company $1,427,130.

 

The Age

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…