MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » Council fury at state budget snub

Council fury at state budget snub

Melton and Moorabool councils have slammed last week’s state government budget for its “glaring omissions” of vital infrastructure funding for the neighbouring municipalities.

The Andrews government unveiled its 2017-18 budget last Tuesday, announcing a spending splurge in health, education, public transport and domestic violence services.

But Melton and Moorabool all but missed out on the cash splash, with the government ignoring many items on the councils’ wish lists.

Moorabool mayor David Edwards said he couldn’t understand why the shire didn’t receive any recognition in a “record spending budget”.

The state government did not fund any new projects in Moorabool in the budget.

“We have trawled through the budget, to no avail, hoping that the strong advocacy we had undertaken would result in funding for a corridor study for an eastern bypass of Bacchus Marsh and also provide for stage one works to alleviate the serious traffic congestion on Gisborne/Grant Street,” Cr Edwards said.

“Other key projects such as the Parwan employment precinct, upgrade of sporting facilities and the Racecourse Reserve, and sewerage for Bungaree and Wallace, have also not made the grade.”

Melton fared slightly better, with the state government announcing it would set aside funding for the long-awaited primary school in the booming suburb Burnside and to acquire land for a new school in Eynesbury.

Other new Melton projects being funded in this year’s budget include an SES unit for Caroline Springs, three parks at Kororoit Creek and land for a new ambulance station at Melton. But the state government announced it would slash in half the Growing Suburbs Fund, which helped outer suburban councils build infrastructure.

There was also no commitments for the Ferris Road grade separations or the Toolern train station, which Melton council identified as being top-priority projects.

Melton mayor Sophie Ramsey said that while she was pleased with the education announcements, she was disappointed with the government’s decision to halve the Growing Suburbs Fund and not fund any transport projects.

She said the council’s needs had not diminished.

“In fact, the gap only continues to grow,” she said. “The reduction in funding available means it will take much longer to bridge that gap.”

State treasurer Tim Pallas said the government was getting “a bit concerned about the quality of the offerings” from councils wanting funding through the Growing Suburbs Fund.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…

  • Mustang juniors thrive

    Mustang juniors thrive

    Melton’s next generation turned their attention to indoor hockey over the summer breaks. The Mustangs had three sides play in the Hockey Victoria junior indoor challenge. President Matthew Simpson said…

  • Williamstown cold case mystery

    Williamstown cold case mystery

    Thirty-two years ago, 79-year-old Leah Buck was attacked and robbed in Williamstown in broad daylight. The severe injuries she sustained would result in her death the following day. Her attacker…

  • Dog park breaks ground

    Dog park breaks ground

    There’s good news for Moorabool residents with a furry friend, as ground has broken on a brand new off-leash dog park in Maddingley. Site works have begun on the off-leash…

  • Paw-sitive impact

    Paw-sitive impact

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534816 Meet Bunji, the wellbeing superstar who’s turning heads at Melton Specialist School and showing the important role therapy dogs can play in school…

  • More extended pool hours

    More extended pool hours

    Residents looking to cool off this week can head to the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan outdoor pools, which are set to open on Thursday 19 February, through to Saturday 21…

  • Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    Mission completed by Keayang Zahara

    There was as much relief as excitement when Keayang Zahara romped home and banked a $500,000 bonus in the Group 1 Great Southern Star. Co-trainer Paddy Lee conceded it had…