MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Football » Diggers Rest’s new girls’ footy team to foster junior stars

Diggers Rest’s new girls’ footy team to foster junior stars

Diggers Rest Junior Football Club is making its first foray into girls’ football.

The Burras have previously had girls play in the boy’s juniors sides, but this season the club wants to field a girls’ side for the first time.

The club is hoping to field an under-18 youth girls’ side in the AFL Goldfields season, with significant interest already coming in.

The club had 10 registered players for the season before the start of pre-season training last week.

Burras’ secretary Belinda Spillman said they wanted to get behind the push to have girls’ football now, so that they would be in a position to start providing a pathway for female players.

The club has appointed Jess Fenech as the club’s inaugural girls’ coach.

“She has played in multiple women’s teams and done some coaching before,” Spillman said of Fenech. “She’s new to the area and wanted to get involved.”

The club has also managed to get Nickiera Johnson on board. Johnson has been part of the Calder Cannons’ squad.

Spillman said there were good signs for the club with several of the boys under-16.5 players trying to get their girlfriends on board and sponsors appeared keen to be involved.

The side will play in a Riddell District Football League competition.

As well as adding a youth girls’ side, the club is looking at having boys’ sides in every age group.

Last season the Burras didn’t have an under-14 team.

Things are looking good on the netball side as well, with the club fielding sides in every age group. The club has put in an application to have two under-11 teams as well.

Details: drjfc@outlook.com

 

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…