MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » News » EasterFest forced out

EasterFest forced out

The future of the Bacchus Marsh EasterFest at Maddingley Park is in doubt after organisers said they can no longer afford to run the event.

Moorabool council’s new park hire policy, which was approved four days after last year’s EasterFest, has banned amusement rides, markets and vehicles on site (other than for display purposes).

Groups are also now required to pay $350 for a toilet cleaning fee, a flat $750 hire fee and a $500 bond, bringing up the total cost to $1600.

But the price is too exorbitant for EasterFest organisers, who previously paid a $350 hire fee and a $500 bond.

For the past two years, the event has been held at Maddingley Park – the town’s largest public open space – with all money raised going to the Bacchus Marsh and Melton Regional Hospital.

Event co-organiser Dotty Hazell told Star Weekly while the event would still go ahead this year on a much smaller scale, the group would struggle to hold it anywhere other than Maddingley Park in the future.

More than 2000 people have turned out to the past two fundraisers, raising more than $7200 for the hospital’s urgent care department.

Ms Hazell said after last year’s event, when a sprinkler was accidentally damaged by an amusement ride operator, the group was told rides would not be allowed back.

“We weren’t even made aware of the sprinklers in the first place,” Ms Hazell said. “We weren’t given any maps letting us know what to look out for and where.

“The policy doesn’t even say where the sprinklers are – there aren’t any maps attached to the policy.”

When Ms Hazell raised her concerns at last week’s council meeting, Moorabool council’s social and organisational development manager Danny Colgan said the hire fees were consistent with the costs borne by the council and park committee.

He said repairs after the damage at a previous EasterFest had exceeded the $500 bond.

This year’s EasterFest will run at Village Green, but Ms Hazell said she will meet with council officers in coming weeks to “negotiate a suitable resolution” for Maddingley Park’s new hire policy.

Djerriwarrh Health Services chief executive Andrew Freeman said the Maddingley Park committee had been “extremely” supportive of the hospital for many years.

“It was great to see the local community come out in force [on Sunday] to attend the David Calleja Memorial Car Show at Maddingley Park and lend their support to Djerriwarrh Health Services,” Mr Freeman said.

“It was another hugely successful event held at the park and we look forward to continuing to work collaboratively with the park committee into the future.”

Digital Editions


  • Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    Inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes

    The Victorian Parliament’s Legal and Social Issues Committee is moving forward with a formal inquiry into anti-LGBTIQA+ hate crimes. The investigation is designed to analyse…

More News

  • Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post ramps up the horse-power for Lunar New Year

    Australia Post is celebrating the Year of the Horse with the release of its Lunar New Year stamp issue, and its first ever ‘DigiStamp’. The traditional Lunar New Year stamp…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Di Filippo headed west

    Di Filippo headed west

    The Western Warriors have suffered a blow with midcourter Simona Di Filippo headed across the country to continue her netball career. Di Filippo, an inaugural player at the Warriors, was…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Hillside man arrested

    Hillside man arrested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 Police arrested a 19-year old Hillside man and seized drugs and cash following a crash in Port Melbourne on Thursday 19 February. Officers…

  • Memories go under the hammer

    Memories go under the hammer

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535487 An original 1962 Jeep Willys four-by-four wagon which sits at the heart of fond family memories is just one of many vintage cars…

  • Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan Autumn Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Teeing up for a cause in Caroline Springs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 535462 Caroline Springs Rotary Club is preparing to tee off for its major community fundraiser, with its inaugural charity golf day set for next…

  • Mustang juniors thrive

    Mustang juniors thrive

    Melton’s next generation turned their attention to indoor hockey over the summer breaks. The Mustangs had three sides play in the Hockey Victoria junior indoor challenge. President Matthew Simpson said…