MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Uncategorized » Family violence help embraced as confidence grows

Family violence help embraced as confidence grows

More than 1500 women have sought help for domestic violence from Women’s Health West (WHW) in the first two months of 2015 as the royal commission into family violence takes shape.

WHW chief executive Robyn Gregory said police had referred 820 women in January and 760 women in February to the organisation.

She expected the figures to rise as more women gained confidence in the system.

“We’ve got a state government that’s taking family violence seriously, politicians who are taking it seriously; there are services available and the Australian of the year, Rosie Batty, has put family violence more front and centre on the agenda,” Dr Gregory said.

“And with that comes a spike in demand and services.”

In January, Premier Daniel Andrews released the terms of reference for the Royal Commission into Family Violence and last month, the commission, headed by Justice Marcia Neave AO, was formally established.

Dr Gregory said it was important for the community to highlight the support services available for victims of domestic violence without forcing them to make decisions.

“The best thing we can do as a community is to speak up when we see or hear attitudes and behaviours that are encouraging of violence against women and children,” she said. “And that we let women know there are [services] available that can support their right to safety.”

Melton MP Don Nardella has organised free submission-writing workshops for Melton and Moorabool residents who would like to make a submission to the royal commission.

The workshops will explore how to make a submission while providing an overview and scope of the commission. Dr Gregory encouraged community groups to attend the workshops.

“There might be a small community of women from Liberia in Melton. They may have something in particular to say about their community and what would work for it [or] what systems should be in place … [we support] anything that encourages that community to be able to have an input in a way that would be taken seriously.”

Royal commission submission workshops

The workshops will run from 7-8.30pm on Wednesday, April 1, at Melton library, 31 McKenzie Street, Melton; and from 7-8.30pm on Tuesday, April 7, at the Lerderderg library, 215 Main Street, Bacchus Marsh.

Digital Editions


  • Eagles big scalp

    Eagles big scalp

    Eynesbury Eagles pulled off one of the upsets of the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Johnstone Shield season on Saturday. With just one win of…

More News

  • Lions’ fall short

    Lions’ fall short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 389722 Melton almost pulled off a win in a low scoring affair against Williamstown in the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association east-west on the weekend.…

  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal. 20 years go 21 February…

  • Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times up

    Ambulance response times across both Melton and Moorabool have improved slightly over the last quarter, according to the latest data released by Ambulance Victoria (AV). Paramedics in Melton responded to…

  • Coaches replace evening trains

    Coaches replace evening trains

    Evening train services on the Ballarat line will be replaced by coaches over three nights next month due to maintenance works. Coaches will replace evening trains for the entire journey…

  • A slippery problem

    A slippery problem

    Multiple snake sightings have been made at Burnside Heights Recreation Reserve, prompting safety concerns from Burnside Springs United Cricket Club and renewed calls for assistance from authorities. A snake was…

  • Total fire ban declared

    Total fire ban declared

    Residents across Melton and Moorabool are being urged to remain vigilant today, with a total fire ban declared for Victoria’s Central District amid hot, dry and winy conditions. Authorities have…

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…