MELTON & MOORABOOL
Home » Sport » Basketball » Bacchus Marsh basketball is booming

Bacchus Marsh basketball is booming

Basketball is booming in Bacchus Marsh, but clubs are concerned a lack of courts is stifling the game’s future.

The Bacchus Marsh Basketball Association recently registered its 900th player, but it struggles to schedule games for all its teams on the two courts at Bacchus Marsh Leisure Centre.

President Paul Wilson said the association formed in 2012 with about 200 members.

“Since then, the number of registered players has continued to grow with each new season.

“The association now has five clubs with 750 registered members playing weekly.

“With basketball so popular in Bacchus Marsh, we’re looking to get a commitment to increase the number of courts so this sport can continue to grow now and into the future.”

Mr Wilson said the association was using every available court, with competitions running all day Saturday and Sunday, with senior games on Tuesday and Thursday nights.

“The association also uses an additional Bacchus Marsh Primary School court regularly to accommodate our need for additional courts,” he said. “The current Bacchus Marsh stadium is good and presents very well, even though it’s a bit long in the tooth … but it’s just not big enough.”

Continuing to grow

Coaching director Wayne Slack said the interest in basketball continued to grow in Bacchus Marsh.

“The association just registered its 900th player, six-year-old Coco Munesti, which is a significant milestone,” Mr Slack said.

“Basketball in Bacchus Marsh is alive and well. It’s a sport that’s here to stay. But there are still many challenges facing us, which, if not addressed, will stifle future growth.”

Moorabool council resolved at its June meeting to set aside funds to undertake a study into the feasibility of constructing more courts.

The report will be used to back up an application for a further $30,000 from the state government.

Digital Editions


  • From the archives

    From the archives

    30 years ago 21 February 1996 A 200-metre section of High Street, Melton, would be closed and covered under a radical Melton Business Association proposal.…

More News

  • Peter Carey award returns

    Peter Carey award returns

    Submissions are now open for Moorabool’s tenth annual Peter Carey short story award. Moorabool Libraries and local writers Jem Tyler-Miller and Wayne Marshall will be celebrating the award for its…

  • Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grass fire in Fiskville

    Grassfire advice has been issued for the Ballan district. An advice message has been issued for Ballan, Fiskville, Mount Wallace and Yaloak as firefighters respond to a grassfire in Fiskville.…

  • Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Swayzee goes back-to-back

    Leap To Fame’s older brother Swayzee upstaged him again in another epic Hunter Cup and denied him a $1 million bonus at Melton last night. Just as he did last…

  • Get kinder ready

    Get kinder ready

    Melton council is gearing up for Kindergarten Readiness Month, with a series of free information sessions set to help families prepare for three- and-four-year old kindergarten. Parents and carers can…

  • Extended pool hours

    Extended pool hours

    Residents across Moorabool can cool off over the next three days with the Bacchus Marsh and Ballan pools set to open for extended hours. With the Bureau of Meteorology predicting…

  • Faces of the west

    Faces of the west

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532074 Each week Star Weekly photographers are out and about capturing events and people across the west.

  • Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Mandatory training, mounting costs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 323327 Moorabool Council is calling on the state government and peak local government bodies to boost professional development opportunities for councillors amid concerns ratepayers…

  • Georgies top flight return

    Georgies top flight return

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534346 It was a day almost eight years in the making for Caroline Springs George Cross on Saturday. The Georgies made their return to…

  • Burnside on top

    Burnside on top

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 393637 Burnside Springs United couldn’t have asked for much more on day one of its Victorian Turf Cricket Association Russell Pollock Shield clash. with…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…